Поговорим о крышках

В русском языке слово "крышка" обозначает очень широкое понятие и называет всё, что закрывает что-либо. Оно соответствует целому ряду слов в английском языке. Но как их различать? Попробуем разобраться, проведя маленькое расследование.

Для начала посмотрим, что говорит мой любимый словарь "Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

a lida cover over a container that can be removed or opened by turning it or lifting ita dustbin lid, I can't get the lid off this jar
a capa protective cover or top for a pen, bottle, etca lens cap
a topa thing that you put on the end of sth to close ita bottle with a screw top, Where's the top of this pen?
a covera thing that is put over or on another thing, usually to protect it or to decorate ita cushion cover, a plastic waterproof cover for the stroller

Oxford Advanced Learner`s Dictionary Oxford Advanced Learner`s Dictionary

Очевидно, в данном случае словарные дефиниции не дают исчерпывающего ответа на вопрос о различиях в употреблении между этими четырьмя словами. Попробуем копнуть глубже - итак, вот какие ответы мне удалось найти в интернете:

  • Если сравнивать слова "cap" и "lid", то первое подходит для более мелких контейнеров, а второе является более общим термином:

    Cap seems usually to be used for smaller containers, like toothpaste. I would say "lid" is the more general term, which means it always applies. Like, you can say a pen lid or a toothpaste lid, but you can also say "cap" if you want to be more specific. However, for something bigger, like a jar, you can't say "cap," but you can still say "lid." (answers.yahoo.com)

  • В большинстве случаев "cover" шире, чем "lid". "Lid" накладывается сверху и закрывает отверстие в контейнере, в то время как "cover" может закрывать как отверстие, так и сам предмет:

    In general, a cover could be considered larger than a lid, but not always. Also, lid is usually only used when it is a cover on the top of something. Also, a lid can only ever cover a hole in something while a cover can cover a hole and cover the whole object as well. To make things even more difficult, there are some occasions when only one or the other is correct. For instance, a teapot has a lid; a box has a lid; a dustbin has a lid; a drain can have a lid or a cover, but a manhole only has a cover! (www.italki.com)

  • "Lid" может сниматься полностью или быть навесной. "Cap" плотно облегает верхнюю часть предмета, обычно изготавливается из мягкого податливого материала и не имеет выступающих краёв:

    A lid is a removable or hinged cover for closing the opening of a jar or box, while a cap is defined as a close-fitting covering for the head, usually of soft supple material and having no visor or brim. (www.chacha.com)

Итак, самым широким термином в нашем синонимическом ряду является слово "cover". За ним идёт слово "lid", которое также употребляется в большом количестве случаев. Самым узким термином является слово "cap", вместо которого иногда используется слово "top".

А теперь примеры:

  • "Cover" (чехол, крышка, колпак и т.д.) подойдёт для следующих и многих других случаев: furniture, manhole, drain ("lid" здесь тоже подойдёт), toilet seat (наряду с "lid" и "top").
  • "Lid" (крышка) можно использовать для различных контейнеров, например: saucepan, suitcase, jar, teapot, box, dustbin, pot, lunch box, can.
  • "Сap" (колпачок, крышка) употребляется для tube (например, toothpaste), flask, bottle, pen. В двух последних случаях вместо "cap" также подойдёт слово "top".
shilko аватар

Оляя у меня оочень востребованы твои посты на подобные темы! Так и знай Happy
Пыталась много чего cap называть, Lid кроме как на кастрюли и сковороды почему-то язык не поворачивался. Завтра же пройдемся по всем крышечкам и закрепим мамашке знания Embarassed

admin Olga-ekb аватар

Оля, я рада, что пригодится. Happy Если в процессе ревизии всплывёт какой-нибудь интересный предмет с крышкой, пиши. Winking

kitchenmudge аватар

Interesting post, Olga. Maybe, as a native who thinks too much about language, I can add something that the dictionaries don't explain very well.

Or maybe I'll just confuse you more.....

I've never heard "pen lid" or "toothpaste lid". These nearly always have "caps". Rarely, they might have "tops" or "covers".

I believe the distinction between "cap" and "lid" is more about the width of the thing, or its width relative to the thing it covers.

Certain hats are called "caps", those with a visor in front, but no brim around the sides or back. Long ago, a hat could be called a "lid", but this was slang that never caught on. I haven't heard it for thirty years.

A bottle nearly always has a "cap", unless it has a "cork" (might be made of cork or plastic, but stuck inside the bottle neck, rather than covering it). Occasionally, you will hear "bottle top", but it's rare. "Screw top", however, is an established phrase for specifying how the thing attaches, and can replace "bottle cap".

A wide-mouthed jar nearly always has a "lid" or a "top", rarely, a "cap" or "cover".

Though your quotes speak of a box always having a "lid", it can also have a "top". Long ago, cereal boxes had coupons on the top flaps of the box, where you open it, and people were encouraged, as a marketing gimmick, to save up the "box tops" and send them in for prizes. The "tops" in this case were simply the torn-off flaps of the box.

Less common, less standardized things are more likely to have "tops" or "covers", since these are the more broadly applicable words. Part of an engine will have a "cover" to protect it from dirt, but the place where you add oil has a "cap" because it is a small opening. On the other hand, if something covering a hole fits inside the hole, it's a "plug".

"Top" refers mainly to being the upper part of something, rather than closing something.
A shirt can be a "top", usually when speaking of women's clothing.

admin Olga-ekb аватар

GD, I'm happy to welcome you on my Russian site. Happy

Thank you for your real life update. It has made a lot click into place. You know, the idea of this post occurred to me when I came across "a bottle top" reading a book to my daughter. So I started wondering. But now I'm relieved to learn that it can rarely be heard.

You're right, I completely forgot about the word "plug". And I like the measure of "less common, less standardized things".

kitchenmudge аватар

I forgot to mention "stopper": another word for "plug", usually used for bottles. An alternative for "cork". Plastic ones will often be called "stoppers" because people know that a "cork" should be made of wood from the cork tree.

Alessia аватар

Ольга, здравствуйте!Давно читаю ваш блог, наслаждаюсь, перенимаю опыт.В этой теме не удержусь и напишу комментарий.

Разновидности крышек-пробок-затычек- ОЧЕНЬ актуальная для меня тема сейчас, когда дочке уже 1.6 и она живо интересуется содержимым кухонных шкафов. Разложит перед собой все баночки и коробочки, а мама начинает ей их описывать...И постоянно предварительно, а то и впроцессе приходится лезть в словарь или искать картинки в интернете. Плохо "чувствуется" эта лексика.Scratch

admin Olga-ekb аватар

Здравствуйте, Алеся! Приятно, что находите информацию полезной. Знаете, у меня тоже эта тема всплыла в связи с дочкой. В преподавательской работе такие тонкости бытовой лексики обычно не требуются. Вот так наши детки двигают нас вперёд. Happy